Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mass Consumption



I have found myself in a slippery slope as of late.  Between the constant distraction of trying to make Phoenix like me, the heartache of losing my dog, and the promise of impending summer, I have been majorly unproductive.  Instead of participating in one of my greatest joys and cooking for myself everyday, I have been eating out. (That might be because I haven't even bothered to go grocery shopping since putting My Girl down.)  Further, I tend to do this eating out after I've had one too many at the micro-brew stop.  Every damn day.  In the last few weeks I've gone to work hungover more times than I would like to admit.

Thus, I feel like a giant cow.  And not one of those cute, happy cows that make California Cheese.  A lazy, gross, cow.  Covered in flies and expelling methane gas. The cycle is familiar; I've been here before.  This shit leads to depression.  This version of myself is one I do not wish to reunite with.  This version of me is trapped, broke, tired, grumpy, paranoid, and not a fun person to be around.  This version needs to take a hike.  Literally.

 So today, I will make it through the last five hours of my hungover hell.  Starbucks and Del Taco will help me survive.  I will go home to snuggle My Boy.  Cook myself some real food.  Wake up tomorrow anew.  And if I go visit Phoenix for our happy hour, I'll do my damnedest to keep myself in check.  I need my friends to help keep me in line too.  To not let me go down that path.  I have  not yet strayed so far that I can't find my way back.

My entire adult life has been the familiar "1 Step Forward, 2 Back" routine.  Time to grow the fuck up and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment